Bente. That's ben-tuh.

Monday, September 22, 2014

Bente- that's ben-tuh.


My name is Danish, but I live in the U.S. of A., so that means that no one ever gets my name right! I had a theater teacher in high school, who after hearing me pronounce my name, said, “So, you’re bent-er than most!” It was pretty funny, but she wasn’t the last person to say that so that’s why it’s the name of the blog. 
Growing up I used to wish my name was something glamorous like “Victoria”, and as an adult I seriously consider going by another name if only in public places, and especially at doctor’s offices, and my kids’ schools, and any first-time meetings, and definitely on emails to people I don’t know well. Hence the phonetic pronunciation guide version (which BTW gets written on those “Hi, My Name Is (Bente – ben-tuh)” name-tags) 
But, alas, Bente is my name. It suits me. Fits me like a nice worn-in pair of comfy slip-on shoes (the go-to ones you use for car pool and a quick run to the store, or to go out to the mail box). So I can’t bring myself to change it, or even pretend that I’m anything other than just Bente. I am a Wife and Mom and a Mormon and I have MS. This is my attempt at “that thing called…”… blogging. You get points if you catch my movie quotes!

No comments:

Post a Comment